Sunday 11 May 2014

GSoC 2014

The long wait ended on 21st April when the GSoC candidate selection results were announced. My heartbeat had been steadily rising all evening as the result time came closer and closer. Butterflies flying around in the stomach. An air of excitement filled the atmosphere. Many of classmates had applied and were themselves anxiously waiting for the results too. Although I was quite nervous, in a corner of my heart I was sure of my selection. I had put in quite a lot of effort in showing my potential by fixing bugs for MoinMoinWiki and also put in a lot of effort into my application. But then you can never be sure can you? ;)

Finally it was 12:30PM and people started getting acceptance mails from Carols and their organisations. Everyone started rejoicing and sounds of people congratulating each other filled the atmosphere. But I started to get a bit nervous as my acceptance mail had yet not come. Then my competitor and classmate Saurabh Kathpalia rejoiced on receiving his acceptance mail from PSF (MoinMoinWiki). I got more nervous. I logged onto melange as people said that they had released the list of selected candidates. I couldn't find my name in the list. I was in despair for a moment before I realized it was not the complete list as Saurabh's name was not there too. Then a bit scared a bit hopeful I started continuously refreshing my Gmail in hope to receive my acceptance mail. After a couple of minutes, just as I was losing hope, there it was -
Dear Ajitesh Gupta(:randomax),
Congratulations. Your proposal "Improving MoinMoin 2.0 GUI" submitted to Python Software Foundation has been accepted for Google Summer of Code 2014. 
I was ecstatic. I screamed with a sense of achievement at the top of my voice as my friends hugged me. It was a feeling which words cannot describe. It was one of the biggest achievements of my life. Meanwhile it was pandemonium in the corridor as the 5 people living my corridor of 26 people who had applied - all of them had been selected. There was an end semester exam the next morning but it was the least of anybody's worry - everyone was too busy celebrating the moment. Finally the celebration settled after a juice party and everybody got back to studying. I in the meanwhile called up my parents and informed them about the selection and they too were very happy though they were a bit more concerned about my exam the next day :D

So yes I have been selected to work for MoinMoinWiki under Python Software Foundation for GSoC 2014!! I'll be improving the Moin2.0 GUI.

No comments:

Post a Comment